Food Grade lubricants are categorized under oil and grease, acceptable for use in meat, poultry, and other food processing equipment, application, and plants. Lubricants are broken into different categories on the likelihood they will contact food. As of now, food-grade lubricants are designated as H1, H2, and H3. The approval and registration of new lubricants into one of these categories are based on the ingredient used in the formulation.
According to Ken Research estimates, the Global Food Grade Lubricants Market – which grew from approximately US$ 200 Million in 2017 to approximately US$ 300 Million in 2022 – is forecasted to grow further into approximately US$ 500 Million opportunities by 2028, owing to the strict government rules and regulation on mandating the usage of food-grade lubricants.
- Surging the food and beverages industry, is likely to propel the growth of the food-grade lubricants market. For instance, as per Germany Trade & Invest, Germany is Europe’s largest food producer and the food & beverages industry represents the fourth largest industry sector in Germany. Exports of processed foods and agricultural commodities generated sales of US$ 70.21 Million in 2018, making Germany the third largest exporter of food and beverages worldwide. Rising health concerns regarding food safety among consumers, Government food safety regulations, and healthy investment in the food and beverages sector, are all those factors driving the food-grade lubricants market.
- Lack of technical knowledge about the Food-Grades such as H1, H2, and H3 among the manufacturers, is likely to cause a restraint for this market. NSF International, an American health organization, mentioned that lubricants registered as H1 or certified to ISO 21469 are considered food-grade. Manufacturers used conventional lubricants in food processing units or plants because of lower costs, which can degrade the quality of food.
- COVID-19 has decelerated the growth of the Food Grade Market. This is because of the temporary shutdown of assembly lines, disruption of the supply chain, restriction on manufacturing activities, and decline in the number of export and import of various food product types. But as the market is recovering and people are getting more aware of food safety, it is estimated that the food-grade lubricants market will grow significantly in the forecasted period.
Key Trends by Market Segment:
By Product Type: The mineral segment accounted for the largest market share in 2021, as it is used for multiple applications such as food, beverages, cosmetics, and others.
- According to Enerdata, an energy intelligence company, stated in a report that global crude oil output rose by less than 1% in 2021 after a 7.4% drop in 2020.
- In 2021, as stated by Enerdata, the US crude oil production (17% of global output) increased by 1.3%. Increased production of crude oil is likely to propel the growth of the mineral oil product segment.
To Know More on this report, Download free Sample Report
By Grade: The H1 segment accounted for the largest market share in 2021, owing to the extensive usage in the food industry.
- H1 lubricants are food-grade lubricants used in food manufacturing plants where there is less possibility of occasional contact with food.
- H1 lubricants are produced with a base oil like polyaphaolefines, polyalkenes glycol, and easter, mixed with additives, that help in to maintain the quality of food.
By Application: The food application segment held the largest market in 2021, owing to increased usage, and multiple applications in various sub-sector in the food industry.
- As per Invest India, India ranks 1stin milk production and contributes 23% of milk production growing at a CAGR of ~6.2% to reach 209.96 MT in 2020-21.
- According to the USA Department of Agriculture, Japan’s food processing industry manufactured US$ 218.3 billion in food and beverages products.
By Geography: Europe accounted for the largest market share within the global food-grade lubricants market in 2021, owing to the presence of various renowned companies.
- According to European Commission, the food and drink industry is the EU’s biggest manufacturing sector in terms of jobs and value-added. The rising food and drink industry are likely to fuel the demand for food-grade lubricants.
- Presence of leading companies operating in adult incontinence products, like Lanxess, Eni, SKF, FUCHS Petrolub SE, and others, will catalyze the expansion of this market.
Visit this Link Request for custom report
- The global food-grade lubricants market is significantly competitive with ~100 players which include globally diversified players, and regional players as well as a majority number of country-niche players having their niche in manufacturing food-grade lubricants products for various applications. Country-niche players comprise the largest share by competitor type, while large global players comprise about 15% of the competitors by type. Some of the major players in the market include CITGO, Lanxess, Exxon Mobil, Eni, SKF, FUCHS Petrolub SE, Dow Chemical Company, Total Energy, ENEOS Corporation, Phillips 66, and others.
Recent Developments Related to Major Players
- In September 2022, Piedmont Lithium announced an investment of US$582 million to establish a lithium hydroxide processing, refining, and manufacturing facility in Southeast Tennessee.
- In February 2022, RelaDyne acquired The Farley Company, a distributor of an extensive line of lubrication and chemical products. This acquisition will expand RelaDyne’s distribution capabilities in the northern Ohio area, Columbus, and Akron markets.
- In June 2021, the FUSCH group acquired Gleitmo Technik AB, Sweden to strengthen the specialty lubricating business.
The global food-grade lubricants market witnessed significant growth during the period 2017-2021, owing to the increasing application of food-grade lubricants in the food and beverage industry. The growth rate is expected to remain significant during the forecast period.
Though the market is significantly competitive with ~100 participants, the majority of country-niche players dominate the market share by type, and global players hold a significant market share.
Note: This is an On-Demand/Planned report, so the figures quoted here for a market size estimate, forecast, growth, segment share, and competitive landscape are based on initial findings and might vary slightly in the actual report. Also, any required customizations can be covered to the best feasible extent for Pre-booking clients, and the report delivered within a maximum of two working weeks.
Ken Research has published a report title Global Food Grade Lubricants Market Size, Segments, Outlook, and Revenue Forecast 2022-2028 That is segmented by product type, grade, and application. In addition, the report also covers market size and forecasts for the four regions in the Food Grade Lubricants Markets. The revenue used to size and forecast the market for each segment is US$ Million.
By Product Type
North America (USA, Canada, Mexico)
Europe (Germany, UK, France, Spain, Italy)
Asia Pacific (China, Japan, South Korea, India, Australia)
LAMEA (Latin America, Middle East, Africa)
FUCHS PETROLUB SE
Dow Chemical Compamy